Car hire in Madrid
Popular car hire locations in Madrid
- Alcala De Henares Car Hire
- Alcobendas Car Hire
- Arganda Del Rey Car Hire
- Fuenlabrada Car Hire
- Las Rozas
- Madrid Estación de Chamartín
- Madrid Atocha Ave Train Station
- Madrid Barajas Airport
- Madrid General Moscardo N 9
- Madrid Gran Via
- Madrid Hotel Auditorium
- Madrid Ifema
- Madrid Manoteras
- Majadahonda Car Hire
- Mostoles Car Hire
- Pozuelo De Alarcon Car Hire
- See All Locations
Plan your trip to MadridMadrid is Spain’s vibrant capital city, jam-packed with museums and art galleries, roof-top bars and nightclubs, with lots of restaurants where you can sample delicious tapas dishes.
Art lovers should check out the Museo del Prado, which houses more than 7,000 exhibits, and the Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum.
In the Palacio Real (Royal Palace of Madrid) you can see important works of art, valuable tapestries and paintings throughout the 50 rooms that are open to the public. Highlights include the Throne Room; the Royal Armoury, where you’ll see the armour worn by Emperor Charles V; and the Royal Pharmacy.
If you’re in Madrid at the weekend, don’t miss the huge Sunday flea market, El Rastro, located between Calle Embajadores and the Ronda de Toledo.
Plaza Mayor is a grand square located in central Madrid; it’s a popular meeting place, home to the Tourist Office and a great place to enjoy tapas and an ice-cold drink, while taking in the many street performances.
Road Trips from MadridSan Lorenzo de El Escorial
This village, 30 miles north of Madrid, is the location of a colossal granite monastery, the Real Monasterio. Built in the 16th century, it houses a wealth of paintings and tapestries, and the main building and surrounding estate (including a palace, museum, church, and more) can take hours or even days to explore.
An hour’s drive northeast of the capital, this mountain town is the place for hiking into the Guadarrama Mountains and adventure activities. In the summer, there’s also an amazing natural swimming pool, where you can enjoy a refreshing dip.
Madrid is centrally located in Spain, and a great starting point for a grand tour of the country. Discover the crazily cultural northern hub of Bilbao, or head to Barcelona and then north to the rocky, cliff-edged Costa Brava running up to the French border. Take in the Roman heritage of Segovia on your way to the sun-baked plains of Andalucía. Visit medieval gem Córdoba, then Seville – for Flamenco and yet more tapas – before gazing up at the snow-capped Sierra Nevada which peaks between Granada and Malaga
Worried you’ll get lost?
To make your journey even easier, we can include a sat nav with your car so you can relax. Request yours when you book
Driving rules in SpainWhich side of the road?
In Spain, please drive on the right side of the road.
Country driving laws
- Mobile phones may not be used at all whilst driving
- Do not use headphones when driving (except hearing aids)
- Dipped headlights must be used in poor daylight visibility
- Always use indicators, you will be fined for not using indicators when needed
- Cyclists have right of way, at all times
All speed signs will be in km/h.
For a standard Avis rental vehicle with no trailers:
- Urban areas: 50 km/h (31 mph)
- Rural areas: 90 km/h (55 mph)
- Motorways: 120km/h (74mph)
Child safety / Seatbelt laws
- It is compulsory for the driver and all passengers to wear a seatbelt
- Children aged under 12 and less than 135cm tall must be seated in an appropriate child restraint for their size
- Children aged under 12 are not allowed to sit in the front seat
This road rules information is for provided for general guidance only. We endeavour to keep the information up to date and accurate, but any reliance you place on this information is at your own risk.